Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Heather's Homemade Fried Chicken & Gravy

Since we have a visiting pastor from another country, I decided yesterday to make an all-American dinner of fried chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, veggies and bread rolls.  It turned out very well, and even received accolades of "opening my own restaurant" and "making my own cookbook".  I may one day.  Meanwhile, I can proudly say that this recipe is totally my own!  I was craving some good fried chicken one night when my husband and son were busy at church.  With my new-found love of "tweaking recipes" and trying my own hand at spices, I was quite successful.  So, I decided to add my name to it. :)

You can easily double/triple/etc. this recipe.  I quadripled the flour/spice and milk/egg mixes to accommodate about 12-14 chicken breasts.  Obviously the gravy recipe would change as well.  Oh, and I ran out of white flour, and used wheat, which worked out great! :)

Heather's Homemade Fried Chicken & Gravy
2 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
1-2 c. oil
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. milk

Flour & Spice Mix:
1/2 tsp each: paprika, chili pdr., season salt, garlic pdr., onion pdr., parsley
1/4 tsp each: salt, pepper
1/4 c. flour (wheat or white will work)

1. Preheat oil in skillet, on medium-high heat.

2. Add all ingredients for Flour & Spice Mix into small size bowl.

3. In separate bowl, beat together egg & milk.

4. Take a chicken breast and dip in flour/spice mix, then dip in egg/milk mixture, then back in flour/spice mix, turning to coat. Place in skillet.  Repeat with additional breast.  Set aside remaining flour mix for gravy.

5. Cook approx. 30 mins. or until cooked (no pink), turning over about halfway through.  Once completely cooked, remove chicken pieces from pan and drain on paper towel-lined plate.

Gravy
Remaining flour/spice mix
Additional 1 c. flour
1 tsp. chicken bouillon
salt & pepper, to taste
Drippings from cooking chicken, drained of grease
1-2 c. milk

In separate pre-heated pan, add flour/spice mix remains and additional flour, browning for about 1 minute on medium heat.  Add drippings, milk, bouillon and salt/pepper, stirring continuously with wire whisk.  Heat until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Serve over chicken, with mashed potatoes or other desired side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment