Friday, August 5, 2011

Today I bring you my posole recipe.  This may not be an "authentic" recipe, but it truly is mine, thus it's original.  I have to laugh when I make it though, because the main "seasonings" are cumin, onion & garlic, which happen to also be used a lot in Indian food.  What causes my chuckle is my kids' comment and inquiry, "Are you making Indian food for dinner?"  Maybe that's why I love both Indian and Mexican food so much...they are often similar in spice.  Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!

Red Pork Posole
1 ½ lb. pork
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. cumin pwdr
2 c. chop onion
2 Tbsp. Oil
½ tsp. black pepper & red cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. chili pwdr
1 Tbsp. salt (or to taste)
¼ tsp. oregano
4 c. hominy
4 c. water & ¼ c. chicken blln pwdr OR 4 c. chick broth
Cilantro, limes, onions, cabbage, cheese (optional garnishes)
Heat the oil in a medium size pot.  Add the onions and brown for about 2 minutes.  Then add the pork.  Cook for about 5 minutes, until browned.  Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute.  Then add the remaining ingredients, stirring well.  Simmer for about 30-45 minutes.  Garnish with whatever "suits your fancy".

No comments:

Post a Comment